Monday, October 12, 2009

My Official Body Fat Percentage calculation, For The ViSalus Body By Vi Challenge


Have you ever had your Body fat percentage measured with the ‘pinch test’ ? Essentially they take a special ‘caliper’ and pull the skin up on your arm, belly and thigh and pinch it. This supposedly gives a measurement of your body fat percentage, but I’m not so sure.
caliper picIf I take a measure of my BMI using an online calculator, I get a nice 21.7%. The mean ‘pinch test’ to get my body fat percentage using the digital caliper gave me a 23.3%.
However, the purpose of the test was to get a baseline on record that I could work with to set goals for the rest of the challenge. I still have 68 days to watch my diet and increase my muscle mass- and now I have some numbers to work with.

Without shame, my starting numbers (oh, how I hope to see significant change in these stats!):

In inches (don’t ask me why they didn’t use metrics…)

Bicep : 10.5
Chest : 33.5
Waist : 30
Hips : 36.5
Thigh : 18.5
Calf : 13

and Body fat percentage, 23.3%

That’s what I’m working with. I was on just a “Shape Kit“, which provides the high protein and nutrient meal replacement shake for 2 meals a day… but honestly most days just have a morning shake. I have now ordered a “Transformation Kit” and the minute it arrives, I will start on the 2 shakes per day, appetite suppressant and metabolism booster. I expect the 4 lbs I want to lose will fall off within the first week, then I can go back on maintenance mode. I’ll use the metabolism booster and appetite suppressant left over at some point, I am certain!

I ran out of my Vi-Pack over the weekend and could really feel a difference in soreness this week. In other words, I HURT! The Omegas (essential oils) that come with the Transformation Kit are excellent for helping with recovery…. and so I await my shipment!

After I had my Body fat percentage calculated I pushed through a kickboxing class. Intense calorie burning and a great muscle building workout as well. I work muscles in my kickboxing class that I don’t get to in any other workout – and I’m certain it is the class that blasts the most calories!

If you are bored with your exercise routine, mix it up! You won’t stick to it if its boring, and worse, your body will adjust to your workout and burn fewer calories! So you have a boring, less effective workout… no good!
Spice it up instead. I do womens strength training, zumba, kickboxing, swimming and occasionally take a spinning class. Keeping this variety in my routine is crucial – cause I am one woman who hates getting bored!

All of these classes are held at the local YMCA, for just $71 a month for the entire family. You don’t have to join an expensive gym, or hire a personal trainer to get fit. But I do suggest you join a fitness facility with a variety of classes so you don’t get bored! I find that I workout much harder in a group setting than if I were to just hop on the elliptical trainer, or pop in a workout video at home. The live instructor and music definitely motivate me to up the intensity of my workout.

I’m working harder on increasing the lean muscle mass of my body. And it feels GOOD!

Join the Challenge! Whether your goals are weight loss, lowering your blood pressure or your cholesterol – you can make fast health gains with the ViSalus Body By Vi!

challenge banner



Originally posted by Melanie Milletics at: Body by vi

No comments:

Post a Comment